Quantity: 1 available
Book Condition: Collectible-Very Good
Original stereocard on pale brown board. Two black and white photographs. Board measures 7" x 3 1/2"; photograph measures 6" x 3 1/8." Stereocard is clean and intact overall. Slight dampstaining on the top margin on front and more extensively on the back. Dampstaining is faint and barely affects photograph and text. On the left side of the board, the following text is printed: "Keystone View Company, Manufacturers and Publishers." On the right side of the board, the following is printed: "Meadville, Pa. St. Louis, Mo., Copyright 1898, by B. L. Singley." Title is printed below the right image. On the back to the left side are translations of the title in six other languages. Also on the back is the following: "(61) [This is the stereocard's number in a boxed set]; Situated at the head of ocean steamer navigation, the city of Portland has developed into a wealthy metropolis. There are many imposing business blocks and palatial residences within the city proper, while the various suburbs connected by electric car lines afford attractive homes for those who prefer a residence removed from the busy scenes of the great city. Among the newest buildings is the spacious Hotel Portland, which is modern in construction throughout, and here the overland tourist will find everything provided for his comfort and entertainment while spending a few days in viewing the many points of interest in and about the city." The photograph shows an ornate dining room in Hotel Portland with set tables, a mantle, coffered ceilings, chandeliers, decorative columns, and indoor palm trees. In 1882, railroad magnate Henry Villard (1835-1900) ordered the Northern Pacific Railway to begin construction of a new hotel in Portland, Oregon with the intent of accommodating transcontinental train passengers on their journey. The Portland Hotel was designed by William W. Whidden of the architectural firm, Whidden & Lewis, and Charles Follen McKim of McKim, Mead, & White. Construction began but soon halted after some financial troubles, which were due in part to the Panic of 1884. A syndicate of Portland business leaders took over the project and the Portland Hotel eventually opened in 1890. In its prime, Hotel Portland was a center for socialites and was one of the most prestigious and elegant hotels in the city. It also welcomed the stay of eight U.S. presidents. However, the Portland Hotel was eclipsed by newer hotels over the decades and closed in 1951. Pioneer Courthouse Square now occupies the block where the Portland Hotel once stood, or at least most of the block. Much of the hotel's stone foundation remains beneath the square's sidewalks. The Keystone View Company was founded in 1892 by B. L. Singley. It was once the largest distributor of stereoviews and stereoscopes. In 1963, Keystone was sold to the Mast Development Company and continued to produce eye equipment and overhead projectors as a subsidiary. In 1972, Mast closed Keystone's last manufacturing site in Meadville, Pennsylvania.
Title: Original Stereocard Photograph - "9328--'The Portland' Dining Room, Portland, Oregon, U. S. A."
Publisher: Meadville, PA, Keystone View Company: 1898
Binding: No Binding
Book Condition: Collectible-Very Good
Type: Photographic Image
Item: 1.00 Item
Seller ID: 020671
Keywords: Stereographs. Stereoviews. Stereocards. Photographs. Photography. Dining rooms. Buildings. Architecture. Hotel Portland. Hotel dining rooms. Hotel architecture. 1800s architecture. Nineteenth-century architecture. 19th-century architecture. 1900s architecture. Twentieth-century architecture. 20th-century architecture. Pacific Northwest. Northwest Coast. Portland Oregon. Portland OR. Portland history. Oregon history. US history. Keystone View Company. Henry Villard. Northern Pacific Railway. William Whidden. Whidden and Lewis. Charles McKim. McKim Mead and White. B L Singley. SG-84.,