Real Photo Post Card: "Meany Hall - U-W Campus - 1117 -"

Price: $10.00

Quantity: 1 available

Book Condition: Collectible-Near Fine (Near Fine)


Original black and white photo postcard. No date, circa 1930s. 5 1/2" x 3 1/2." Title printed at the bottom of the image. Postcard is unused. Postcard is very clean and intact overall. Slight wear and a couple bumps at the edges. A Near Fine copy. This postcard shows the original Meany Hall on the University of Washington (UW) campus. Meany Hall, or Auditorium Hall as it was known then, was built in 1909 for the Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition by Howard & Galloway. After the exposition, Meany Hall was used as an auditorium for student assemblies and music, dance, and theater performances. Auditorium Hall eventually took on the name of Meany Hall when Professor Edmond S. Meany, head of the UW History Department, made significant contributions to the university, namely, helping with the organization of the Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition at UW and the construction of many of the campus's buildings. In 1958, Meany Hall underwent renovations but was damaged in 1965 from the Puget Sound earthquake. The building was subsequently deemed unsafe, so it was demolished. The new vacancy factored into a restructuring plan of the area, which is now an open plaza called Red Square. In 1974, a new Meany Hall was constructed in another location and followed a more contemporary style matching the Odegaard Undergraduate Library instead of the original's Victorian-era, Neoclassical style. In 1995, UW's Allen Center for the Visual Arts was constructed in the spot formerly occupied by the original Meany Hall.