Real Photo Post Card: "Shafers Museum, Winthrop, #50"

Price: $10.00

Quantity: 1 available

Book Condition: Collectible-Fine


Original black and white photo postcard. No date, circa 1940s. 5 1/2" x 3 1/2." Title printed at the bottom of the image. Postcard is unused. Postcard is very clean and intact except for slight age toning on the back. A Fine copy. This postcard shows the Shafer Museum in Winthrop, Washington. The town of Winthrop was officially incorporated in 1924, but settlers first came to the region in 1883 after the discovery of placer gold. The building of the Shafer Museum used to be the residence of one of Winthrop's earliest settlers, Guy Waring, and was colloquially called "The Castle." Waring first arrived to community that would become Winthrop in 1891 and opened the town's first general store. At one point, Winthrop owned every building on main street except for the town hall. However, after several tumultuous periods of alternating success and turmoil, Winthrop became bankrupt in 1916 and left his cabin to his stepson, Harry Greene. Greene and his family eventually left Winthrop, and the building was used by the Episcopal Church. In 1943, the building was bought by a local businessman, Simon Shafer, after whom the museum is named. Shafer proposed the building be turned into a museum. The Shafer Museum is now owned and managed by the Okanogan County Historical Society and features local history.