Real Photo Post Card: "The Canal Lock"

Price: $10.00

Quantity: 1 available

Book Condition: Collectible-Very Good


Original black and white photo postcard. No date, circa 1940s-1950s. 3 1/2" x 5 1/2." Postcard is unused. Postcard is very clean and intact except for slight corner and edge wear, a few marks on the back, and a small indentation in the lower-right corner of the image. A Very Good copy. This postcard shows a reconstructed canal lock in Carillon Park, Dayton, Ohio. Carillon Park was built in 1940 under the direction of Colonel Edward Andrew Deeds (1874-1960) and Edith Walton Deeds (1869-1947). The postcard has a printed caption on the back describing the lock, "The Canal Lock in Carillon Park was originally Lock Number 17 and was located north of Dayton. It has been re-erected exactly as it appeared when it was in actual service." The original Canal Lock No. 17 was built around 1833 as part of the Miami and Erie Canal. The canal ran from Cincinnati to Toledo, Ohio as a waterway between the Ohio River and Lake Erie. The construction of railroads during the 1850s brought about a decline in usage of the canal. It was permanently abandoned following after it was damaged from the catastrophic Flood of 1913. Portions of the canal can still be viewed today.